2015年3月30日 星期一

Dance Partner- how to get one & how to keep one (part 2)

How can you find and keep a partner? Maybe I am not the best person to mentor you over this, what I can share with you is my journey of searching a partner for myself. 

From Absolute Social Dance to Gold Bar Dancer
Well, I started as a beginner, with some talent and diligence, I progressed quite fast that a normal social dance class could no longer satisfy me ten classes later. Then I went for the Amateur medal test. In such class I mostly practice all the basic footwork solo (around 40 minutes) because we were all girls, only at the end of the class I got a chance (about 5 minutes) to dance with the instructor, a Fellow and an Examiner. I tend to skip a lot of classes because once I knew the figures all I needed to do was practicing it until everything got perfect. The only reason for me to go back to class is to watch the instructor's demonstration and had a chance to feel his lead- but surely you can't say that's a partner.

Although I skipped a lot of classes, in just 1.5 years, I got my gold bars with honours. Along the formal training I went to social dance parties as well. Since I was one of the very few formally trained International Style dancers go partying with Hustle, Swing, Salsa and even Modern Jive, I got their moves quicker than any other people. Without acknowledging them I was a medalist, everyone, especially the better dancers liked to dance with me. So you could say I have a lot of practice partners, but still I didn't have my own partner. I couldn't intentionally keep these partners, it's just as long as I went on partying, I could have someone to dance with. Frankly speaking, you can't say these guys are partners.

From Amateur training to Professional training
Soon I was not satisfied by the social dancers, they were too contented to lead the same moves again and again. I knew that I could not achieve anything higher if I stayed there. At last, I opted for professional training- taking the teacher's training course myself. Not only I could learn the proper technique, but also I could learn the man's step too. For both man and lady, the best way to advance dance skills is to learn each other's steps. As a follower, you need to know how the lead should be and so you can follow; as a lead, you should know how the follow feel towards a lead then you can execute the lead perfectly to suit the lady's need. In a teacher's training class, I had no worry of having no one to practice with, since every one was so eager to progress, plus every one could be either a man or a girl, we swapped genders and danced with all men and ladies. During that period of time, I really learned a lot of partnership technique.

From Keen Dancer to Competition Dancer
When the course was done and I myself became a trained professional, I didn't teach. Instead, I paired up with two of my partners from the training course, one man, one lady, to entre competitions. I went to the couple's competition with the man, and I went for the girl-girl competition with his wife. Through the preparing for the competition, all three of us had impressive improvements (however, the best we achieved was finalists, not champion). Although I still could not have my own partner, at least I became a better dancer, if one day I could have my own man, I am sure I will not fail anyone.

From Party Goer to Party Performer
I mentioned that I didn't satisfy with normal social dance, but I still attend some social events. I knew it is important to dance with people of different level- with beginners, I learned how to guide them as a follower (very important for my teaching career), with advancers, usually sparkled some nice improvisations (equally important for my choreographing work). Since I became a much better dancer among social party goers, I was then asked to dance for small shows and parties, in which I was assigned a partner for each event, and they were usually more skilled dancers. So once again, I had occasion partners, but still I hadn't had my own partner. At first I was assigned a partner randomly, and I did that voluntarily; later on, I was like having a regular partner as the boss always gave me the best one, and I started to get 'allowance', sometimes I got as much as the teacher which I would see as a 'pay'. For quite a while, I kept learning, competing, and performing different dance styles with different partners.

From Dance Blogger to Dance Teacher
I started Danceblog when I was working on the Gold Bars, I wrote about International Style initially, recording figures and taking notes on technique; as I expanded my studies, now it includes American Style, Country Style and Caribbean dances as well. The blogging life changed after I got my 4th professional teaching certificate, since then I was qualified to teach more than 15 dance genres, I started to teach and the blog soon became more like an official page of KandykaneDance. But I should clarify that I was not owning a studio, just affiliated with a number of enterprises which organize, package and market me. All I had to do was to teach. I should be happy that I finally got my dance career but ironically all partners in professional classes, competitions, performance withdrew. I would not say they ditched me because I am still dancing and partner with them until now whenever it is not about teaching dancing. To conclude, until this moment, I have partners, but I don't have a partner.  

So this is my partnering history. Sad to say, I haven't met my own long term partner yet. Envy is me when I see other real couples are partnering with their SO- you know I don't have a dance partner or a romantic partner. Anyway, the partner issue does not affect my dance career. I am fortunate enough to have partners to dance with under different circumstances.

**Do you get some insight from my partnering history?**
Get back to Part 1 to see how you should prepare yourself for your partner.
Go to Part 3 to get a conclusion

...............................................................................................................

Follow me for more updates on:

facebook.com/KandykaneDance

instagram.com/kandykanedance